May 17, 2010

Career Confusion!!!!


While reading an article today in Education times on career concerns I somehow feel that I am not satisfied with the kind of education I have.Having just a bachelor's degree is not enough for me.Its not that I have not tried to obtain a higher degree but it is just that I don't have the passion for it. I think in my school days I was more sure of what I want to be,though I could get there. But if you ask me today what i want to do in my life i am not at all sure. During my final year of college I gave GRE in order to pursue my MS. But then I thought let me do the job for one year and find out how relevant was my bachelor course and then i would go for it. But I found that I am not at all fit to do the technical job it is mere luck that i am in such a job. I can't think of objects which have abstract nature. I might understand things which are more of physical in nature. I opted for GRE just because my friends were preparing for it or what we call is peer pressure. They enjoyed the technical stuff and went ahead with their dream and i am still stuck writing this blog about my confused state of mind.

My present room-mate is so well determined that he wants and MBA degree that when he failed to make a cut in CAT this year he started preparing for GMAT immediately. Though I prepared along with him but the vision he has after doing his MBA and the kind of work he wants to do after his Masters,I am nowhere close to it. I am just like a leaf which swings in the direction the wind blows. Today i even thought of starting my preparation for GMAT but then he corrected me that just by obtaining good score in GMAT is not the end. There are lot of other things which they take into consideration while selecting or rejecting candidates.

People say one itself is the best judge as to where his/her interests lies and then choose what is one passionate about. So far in my life i have never been passionate about anything. Such passion is really good to achieve one's goal. I have to find a goal and then be passionate about it. I have to think that it is do or die situation for me. Thats the way my roomie explains me.Then only you can achieve your goal.

4 comments:

  1. I so identify with what you have written!
    Much the same with me. Just landed up in jobs by fate :)

    I'm sure there are things that we enjoy doing much more. But to take the leap away from a secure job requires not only passion, but a lot of courage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am in total agreement with you...doing things what we always wanted to do definitely needs lot of courage...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost same here! Though bigger picture is not clear but incremental vision (a few years ahead) should suffice.
    Don't feel so bad about it (if you are). I have rarely seen people who know what they'll actually be doing 5-10 years down the line. 2-3 years planned at time are good enough for most people.

    And I'll say IMHO the opposite way is the actual way, that is, "you have to find your passion and then define a _related_ goal." Goals will keep changing depending on your need and greed. Passion will stay long-term.

    Plus no matter how well crafted a goal is, you can rarely "create passion" for it! That'll be so tangential! :-o

    ReplyDelete