May 19, 2010

Taking Risks!!!

  A few days back a friend of mine took a car. She is new to the world of driving since she has never driven any vehicle before (bicycle included). So I consider that is great achievement on her part and yes we had a party to celebrate her accomplishment.

When you start driving be it two wheeler or a four wheeler you always need someone to guide you initially to teach you little nuances of driving. But is it not a huge risk  being a guide to someone when you are not aware of his driving skill?

I consider its a huge risk when you take into account the way people drive here in India: changing lanes at will and college going bunch showcasing their talent like a joker in a amusement park.

Though this time I was acting as a guide, there was a time when I didn't knew driving that well and was just back from my hometown where I had taken a few lessons in driving on my dad's bike. My roommate in college thought I had taken good lessons and I am ready for some advanced lessons but the fact was that I hardly knew anything substantial and I had no confidence in me to drive beyond the 2nd gear. Though I made my self clear to him but he forced me to come out for a ride that too after having snacks in our night canteen so that would be easily after 11pm.


I started his bike and slowly went around the college campus.He encouraged me to spped up a little and so I did.On his advice I moved to 3rd gear and the nervousness grew in me. I thought the bike is going too fast and beyond my control and when a sharp dusty turn came I just gave up. I didn't knew what to do and panicked.  My pillion rider friend saw the inevitable and he had two options: either let me go and hit the wall of the chemistry department or just ask me to pull the brakes and let the bike skid. He thought the second option to be a better choice.He was shouting from behind to pull the brakes but I had given all hopes that I can't remember where brakes are on bike. I just pull the brakes and clutch simultaneously and as a result the bike skidded for almost 10 feet.

Both of us were badly hurt and had to call our other friends to take us to a hospital at midnight.My room mate has taken huge risk and I think he would never get in such adventure ever. On my part I thought that I can never learn driving and never touched bike for almost one year.

Today I can drive well now and I would like to thank Suhail for showing such confidence in me then. I owe my driving to you.

1 comment:

  1. So that means I am never riding pillion with you ;-)

    ReplyDelete